What if the driver at fault doesn’t have insurance?

If the driver at fault has no liability insurance, then the only other place to look for insurance is your own automobile policy. If you have a provision in your policy called “uninsured motorist” coverage, then your company must pay your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering, just as it would if you had injured another motorist. If you have liability insurance only, then there is no coverage that will compensate you for your injuries. The state has no provision for motorists injured in accidents where there is no insurance. (If you are injured as a result of criminal conduct such as driving under the influence, there is a state criminal injuries compensation fund that may help you.)