Suffering an internal injury in an accident of any kind can be frightening, painful and, ultimately, costly. A victim may need a great deal of medical treatment while, at the same time, being unable to work. If this has happened to you or a loved one, the Law Office of David E. Gordon P.C. can help you to overcome the challenges you are facing.
David E. Gordon is an attorney who has experience representing both defendants and plaintiffs in personal injury and other civil cases. Because of this experience, he knows how to approach claims involving internal injuries and how to pursue the maximum amount for his clients.
We serve accidents victims and their families in Memphis and throughout Tennessee and northern Mississippi. Contact us today to discuss your case in a free consultation.
What Are Signs and Symptoms of Internal Injuries?
Many accident victims fail to realize that they have, in fact, suffered a serious and potentially deadly internal injury. This is why you should go to the emergency room or see your family doctor as soon as possible after you have been in an accident – even if you believe you were not injured.
After an accident, you should pay attention to signs and symptoms of these common internal injuries that people suffer in accidents:
- Internal bleeding – An accident can cause internal bleeding in many areas of the body. Indications include:
- Brain and skull – Headaches, neck stiffness and, in the worst cases, a stroke
- Abdomen – Weakness, dizziness, shortness of breath, and unusually low blood pressure
- Stomach and gastrointestinal tract – Blood in one’s stool or urine, nausea and vomit that is red and looks like coffee grounds
- Kidney and bladder – Blood in one’s urine or stool.
- Organ failure – The sudden, violent blow that one may suffer in a motor vehicle crash, fall or other accident can cause damage to one or more organs that causes them to shut down. The heart, brain, kidney, and liver are especially at risk of failure due to accident-related trauma. One’s body may go into a state of shock due to organ failure.
- Broken ribs – A sharp pain in your side is the clearest sign of one or more fractured ribs, which can be deadly if the rib punctures an organ. If the pain worsens when you twist or bend, take deep breaths or put pressure on the side of your body, get immediate medical attention.
- Collapsed lung – Symptoms of this injury, also called pneumothorax, include sudden pain in one’s chest, loss of breath, coughing, weakness, chest tightness and a spike in one’s breathing and heart rate. This injury often is caused by a fractured rib puncturing the lung.
- Ruptured spleen – The spleen serves a vital function by helping the body to fight off infections. If the abdomen suffers trauma in an accident, it can cause the spleen to rupture. Severe abdominal pain, a drop in blood pressure, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea and vomiting are signs.
- Abdominal aorta aneurysm – If one’s stomach is harmed in an accident, it can cause a rupture in the lower part of the aorta, which delivers blood throughout the body. An aneurysm may take time to develop, but once it does, the impact can be swift and deadly. Sudden, sharp pain in the back or abdomen is a red flag.
In addition to protecting your health, seeking a timely diagnosis of your injuries after an accident can also help to protect your legal rights. The longer you wait, the more likely the defendant’s insurance company will claim that your internal injury is unrelated to your accident.
Do You Have an Internal Injury Claim?
Not all accidents that cause internal injuries can lead to a legal claim. However, you will have no idea about your options unless you allow an experienced attorney to review your case.
Attorney David E. Gordon can provide a consultation that is aimed at learning more about how you or your loved one suffered an internal injury and exploring the options in your case.
Those options may include:
- Personal injury damages – Many people suffer internal injuries due to the negligence of others. Slip-and-fall accidents and car, truck and motorcycle crashes are examples. In a personal injury claim, you can seek compensation for all of your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and more.
- Workers’ compensation benefits – If you suffered internal injury due to an accident that occurred while you were on working at a construction job or other line of work, you may be entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits. These benefits can pay your medical bills and replace a portion of your lost wages.
- Social Security Disability benefits – If your internal injury has led to an impairment that prevents you from being able to work, you may be eligible for SSD benefits, which are monthly payments provided by the federal government.
In some cases, you may be eligible to pursue personal injury damages and disability benefits at the same time. We can help you to coordinate the different types of relief which are available to you.
Do You Need a Lawyer to Handle Your Internal Injury Case?
Attorney David E. Gordon can provide a wide range of legal services to you after your life has been impacted by an internal injury, starting with a comprehensive investigation of your case.
While your case is being investigated, we can deal directly with the insurance company on your behalf, allowing you to focus on your recovery. We can also work with health care providers to ensure you get the medical treatment you need.
As a Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist, David E. Gordon knows how to prepare cases for trial. This preparation can help him to negotiate from a position of strength when seeking a full and fair settlement of your claim. A settlement can avoid the need for a trial.
Additionally, we can assist with filing a claim for workers’ compensation benefits and/or SSD benefits. If your claim is denied, we can assist in appealing the decision, including representing you in any necessary hearings.
Our ultimate goal is to seek the maximum amount for you and your family, whether it is through personal injury damages, disability benefits or a combination of options.
Contact a Memphis Internal Injury Attorney
At the Law Office of David E. Gordon, we will strive to achieve an outcome that allows you to move on with a sense of peace and security after suffering the trauma of an internal injury.
We have a record of delivering positive results for clients in Memphis and throughout Tennessee and northern Mississippi. To discuss how we can help you, call or reach us online today.
Sources / More Information